State media reporting several wounded and killed after gunmen ‘began shooting from behind the stand’ at parade in Ahvaz.
Several people have been killed after unknown gunmen opened fire during a military parade in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz, state television reported.
“Several gunmen began shooting from behind the stand during the parade. There are several killed and injured,” a correspondent told state television.
Saturday’s attack killed at least eight members of the Revolutionary Guard and wounded 20 people, including a woman and child, according to the Iranian state-run IRNA news agency.
Ali Hosein Hoseinzadeh, deputy governor in Khuzestan province, said that two attackers had also been killed and another two were arrested.
The parade was marking the start of the Iran-Iraq War, which lasted between 1980 and 1988.
The report Saturday described the assailants as “Takifiri gunmen,” a term previously used to describe the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group…