“It seems that such remarks [by Saudi crown prince] have been made under [US President Donald] Trump’s pressure,” Zangeneh said on Monday.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told Bloomberg in an interview on Friday that his country had met its promise to the United States to make up for Iranian oil supplies lost through US sanctions re-imposed after Washington’s withdrawal from a 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries.
“Actually the request that America made to Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries is to be sure that if there is any loss of supply from Iran, that we will supply that. And that happened. Because recently, Iran reduced their exports by 700,000 barrels a day, if I’m not mistaken. And Saudi Arabia and OPEC and non-OPEC countries, they’ve produced 1.5 million barrels a day. So we export as much as 2 barrels for any barrel that disappeared from Iran recently,” he said.
In reaction to bin Salman’s claims, the Iranian minister of petroleum said “neither Saudi Arabia nor any other [oil] producer” have such a production capacity.
“The market and the increase of prices are the best evidence that the market faces a shortage and it is worried about a severe shortage of oil supply,” Zangeneh added.
“What Saudi Arabia had been supplying the market with, were not from [its] spare capacity but from tapping its oil stocks,” he pointed out…